Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Severe depression and anxiety
chelseagolden posted:
I have had severe depression and anxiety for over 10 years now and have been to a few doctors and been on several medications for it, but in the past few years it has gotten so bad that I can't get to the doctor for a prescription. I have anxiety when I go outside and around people. I never leave the house. I would like to know if there is any way I can get an online doctors appointment or if there are any options for people with this condition?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
There are some physicians who practice on-line medicine and you can research this, but I think it's more important for you to begin to get out of your home. Remaining in your home can only make things worse and just because you've been on several meds doesn't mean you necessarily need meds or that there isn't a med/combination of meds that will help.

You need a good physical check-up, a consultation with a psychologist who works with persons with anxiety disorders and some self-help techniques. All of this can be extremely beneficial to you. Begin by finding someone who will go to your doc's with you and also watch our relaxation breathing video tutorial in our Tips column here. Use it on a daily basis, several times a day and begin to move around more, even if it's just in your home.

Make plans to start now to begin to get the help you deserve.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.