Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Andrenaline "Surge" in chest
kari69 posted:
Hello all,

I have been experiencing an adrenaline "surge" in my chest usually when I am laying down to go to sleep and then after that I get palpitations. It is quite scary and have no idea what may be causing them. I am a 43 year old female on no types of meds and generally healthy. My last ekg was a month ago and it was deemed normal. I have suffered with anxiety for years and seemed to have had it under control, but I have never had that adrenaline surge before. My life has been stressful as of late.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I think you just said what we might call the "magic" word here and it's stress. Stress builds up gradually without your really knowing it. It's like a spring that is slowly being wound tighter and then, quite without your expecting it, you experience symptoms such as you describe.

I know about stress and how it affects people and I even wrote a small Kindle book about it. The main thing for you to do is to begin to take steps to help yourself. How to do it?

Look at our relaxation breathing video tutorial in our Tips column and begin to use it on a regular basis. Get some exercise into your life on a regular basis and stick to it. Exercise can be as simple as going for walks, walking in place in your home, walking up and down stairs or even in your chair. Take a look at my website's Videos page and you'll see several exercises you can do.

I think this will help.

ricardinho responded:
Hi,

I second the idea of relaxation techniques. A really simple one is square beathing (look it up in mindfulness books ). Take a deep breath in while counting to 4 in your head. Hold it for 4. exhale slowly for 4 . hold again for 4. repeat as needed . Physically, you are squeezing your heart with your expanded lungs, which will help to slow it down. Mentally, focusing on counting may help to distract you.

good luck

An_250940 responded:
I was so excited to read your posting,. I have been struggling on and off with this SAME symptom for years, I have had many medical tests that have also confirmed nothing, I have decribed mine the SAME way with the words "Surges", "Scarey", "Adrenaline". Unfortunately when I get mine, it prevents me from sleeping and even wakes me up, Consequently I can not sleep which adds to feeling stressed, I knew mine was triggered by stress but was not sure if it was, in itself, a stress response, The doctor has me on a medication now called Metoprolol Tartrate which this new doctor said can be used to decrease adrenaline responses, I take it right before I go to bed. It has not taken it away but I might have to go up on the dose. It does help so it does not wake me up at night. I also have a very stressful life, a full time job and I am a caregiver for my disabled sister. I looking at how to decrease stress and get more sleep as I know this will help get rid of it---for while, Thank you for writing, I feel relieved knowing someone else finally knows what I am talking about,

Jrlaw1998 replied to An_250940's response:
Well I have been dealing with similar for a year now! I have learned that if u take a warm shower before bed your anxiety will completely disappear. And if it comes back I usually just roll over and sleep on my stomach

kari69 replied to Jrlaw1998's response:
Glad to hear that I am not the only one! I thought I was going crazy! I'm dealing with these nightly. I have a doctors appointment next week for some hormonal testing. I think I am in perimenopause and this is a symptom. I will keep you posted and keep calm! I've been doing breathing techniques, it doesn't take them away but makes them bearable. Take care!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.