Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Naturopath put me on many supplements for anxiety and depression as well as special diet, now having stomach troubles
earlgreytea posted:
I have anxiety and depression and recently went to a naturopath to have tests done to find out what the root cause of both could be. I have very high levels of dopamine and norepinephrine, slightly elevated glutamate, and low epinephrine. My coritsol levels are flat throughout the day (they should start out fairly high when you wake up and slowly slope downward as the day goes on) but mine are just low the whole day. My vitamin D levels are also ridiculously low.
My naturopath gave me the following supplements to take: NAC, B-Complex-Vital Nutrients, PhytoNutrients multivitamin, CalmPRT, Boswellia, Vitamin D3/K2 spray, Zinc, UltraPotent C (1000mg vitamin C), ProgonB (progesterone, haven't started this one yet though), and EPA-DHA.

I have been taking these for a week now, as well as being on a completely dairy-free, gluten-free, meat-free diet (and eating mostly soy-free, as the only soy I've been eating is the small amounts of soy lecithin that are in some foods). I have been having stomach issues (diarrhea 2 to 4 times a day, sorry, I know that's TMI) and a lot of gas as well since I started taking them and switching up my diet a week ago. I called my doc and asked about it and he said to take them with food. I've been doing that, but the issues remain. Any idea if one of the supplements specifically could be causing this?
I also feel somewhat nauseous sometimes.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm sorry, but I'm not an MD and I can't comment on any of the supplements that you are taking. It's my understanding that it would be difficult to evaluate the levels of the neurotransmitters which you indicate were tested. Of course, as I said I'm not an M.D., but it has always been my understanding that these would be very difficult to calculate even from a spinal tap.

I hope that you and your doc can work these issues out and that you will feel much better very soon.

earlgreytea replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
My naturopath was able to test my neurotransmitter levels with just a urine test.

Strugglingmom2242 responded:
I tried that and spent thousands of dollars all no no avail. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to Strugglingmom2242's response:
I did a quick search on the internet and found that there's agreement that this type of testing has yet to be proven to do what it purports. So, it's highly questionable that it really measures what people are saying it will measure. As I always say, let the buyer beware.

earlgreytea replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
The results he found matched what I've been feeling for years, so honestly, I trust the tests results. They explain why I'm always tired and have no energy, yet I'm always anxious and I can't control it.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.