Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Im not sure but i think i might have a type of anxiety help!!
An_250750 posted:
ok well I'm more the shy silent type always have probably always will it might be because I was always afraid to ask my dad anything because he wasn't always the loving father you see on tv. I never could tell him ily daddy maybe when I was 5 but as I got older I wouldn't. anyway I get nervous a lot an my heart starts racing I get hott i start sweating so much an start itching everywhere head to toe an I break out in hives an also get headaches when that happens. im not sure if everyone gets nervous when cops are right behind you driving but I freak out , its not that I have anything to worry about but ive had a bad experience with them growing up. And also when I get excited it happens like I see my husband driving up, an when im in a hurry to get things done.please someone help!!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can understand and I'm sure that many people on this list have become a bit upset whenever there is a police car behind them. As you said, you had some problems previously and this just brings all of that up.

You have anxiety that you've probably learned and, if that's the case, it can be dealt with by unlearning it. By that I mean, working with an experienced cognitive psychologist who can help you to learn techniques and ways of thinking that will enable you to put this anxiety aside.

In the meantime, you can use a bit of self-help by going to our Tips column and watching the relaxation breathing video tutorial I have prepared. You can learn this in just a matter of minutes and you can begin using it immediately whenever you feel yourself becoming a bit anxious. Don't wait for the anxiety to build up to the point that you're feeling terrible; use it when you feel any little twinge of anxiety. It can be very helpful.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.