Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
sleep and anxiety??
ricardinho posted:
My anxiety seems to be worst at night.
What do people recommend for sleep aids?
Does a prescription medication work better than OTC ones?

I wake up one or twice a night with a little heart surge.
Square breathing helps a lot for that, but getting my brain to shut down has been harder lately.

thanks

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Getting to sleep at night can be a problem for a lot of people, but especially for anyone with anxiety. I am not an M.D. and I can't recommend any sleep aide to you, but what I would say is that it is preferable that you not use anything whether it be prescription or OTC. Prescription medications, if you read the instructions carefully and also note the side effects, are not without some difficulties. Additionally, if they are absolutely needed, it is usually recommended that they only be used for a short period of time.

You may want to consider a few changes in your sleep time routine and I would suggest you take a look at the Sleep page on my website for some useful links. We do know that avoiding any caffeine, having your room dark and helping yourself with, possibly, some visual, relaxing imagery can also be helpful.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.