Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
New to this group
jaws82 posted:
Im a 48yo male who has been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks most of my life. Im also being treated for newly diagnosed bipolar disorder and am on Lithium,Buspar,Cymbalta,Ellavil. I cant take Benzos because I am a prescription drug addict in recovey (nice combination that I am not proud of). I need to listen and when i get more comfortable with the group (if you let me in) Ill tell you more of my story and hope that it will help someone.

jaws82 responded:
I really need to talk with someone now!!!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Since you are receiving psychotropic medications and you are in recovery, I am assuming that you must be in psychotherapy as well as, possibly, group therapy to help you with your recovery. I believe those are the two places where you would be working on any difficulties you have with anxiety and panic. Although I know that this group is highly supportive, substance abuse is not the primary focus and that is the reason I mention psychotherapy and group work.

If whoever is prescribing your medications has not referred you for work with an experienced addictions specialty psychologist, I would suggest that you ask for this now.

jaws82 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I have been clean for some time now and Im not in pschotherapy (the person I had seen retired last year and have not found another). I am waiting on disability status since my hearing was 3 months ago. I am on pain meds through a monitored clinic and my spouse and even though Im working a NA program now, I still have anxiety and panic issues and am looking for another counselor. Can you please help?

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Fish oil 1000mg can help with the brain shivers/zaps.
Hey guys, I myself am a sufferer of the terrible effexor withdrawal. I am here to tell you there is hope in getting off of this drug and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.