Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
pregnant with panic disorder and social anxiety
mandihope82 posted:
Hi, i am 30 yrs old. and have been struggling with panic disorder and social anxiety probably since I have been in kindergarten. I was just recently diagnosed, due to my condition worsening ever since my mother n law moved in right behind us. I cannot take any medication until I have my baby in May. But I live everyday in fear of being judged, and being disliked by my mother n law. And we just recently had our first disagreement,which has intensified my negative thoughts. I can barely breathe all day everyday. Everything I do shes on my mind. I just need her approval, and I feel like i am constantly begging for it. And I want to think Im not being judged, but im way to afraid to even talk to her about it. I have told her my diagnoses,but she seems to not be interested. Any ideas or suggestions on whats healthy and natural that i can take or even drink to help settle my mind? I just want this to go away!!

autnchris responded:
You CAN take medication during your pregnancy. I took my cymbalta and xanax with my last pregnancy in 2010. My OB said it was ok. I was even able to take all my asthma medications too. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. No side effects from the meds.

mandihope82 replied to autnchris's response:
Thank you for your reply. I really hope my psychiatrist will give me something. When she diagnosed me she recommended therapy only until my baby is born. Maybe I need to explain to her how bad its effecting me. I cannot see myself going on for 2 more months like this. I am not sure of the types of medication that are available for this. I have only taken xanax in the past for anxiety. But I know I need something long term. So glad i finally have an explanation for my negative thinking all my life. I thought it was just ME. Again thank you for your reply.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Since you've had this condition for the greater part of your life, the fact that your mother-in-law has recently moved right next to you have cause greater anxiety would almost be expected. Having someone in this position in your family nearby and feeling that you are being evaluated constantly or not like makes things even worse for you. The fact that she doesn't seem to be interested in discussing this also contributes to your anxiety.

I don't believe that there is anything that you need to consider taking to try to calm yourself for variety of reasons and the primary reason of course is that you are pregnant. It would be much better if there could be a few family counseling sessions to help everyone work on making your home a more pleasant place to be.

Remember, your thoughts regarding your mother-in-law may not be reflecting how she is feeling towards you. Of course, I don't have all the information and you do. Did she come to live near you so that she can help when the baby is born? If this is the case, I would think she wants you to be as calm as possible during this period because it will keep you healthy and the baby will benefit also.

As I said, I don't believe that you need to take any OTC products or prescription medication. I'm not an M.D. but it is my thinking that it is best to limit whatever medications you must take now. Family counseling would be a good idea and your learning a few things in the way of self-help would also be good. I'm talking about watching the relaxation breathing video tutorial we have in our Tips column and also watching the self-talk video which I have prepared. Self-talk can be very useful because you really need to reassure yourself and to help yourself evaluate any situation so that you can see what is actually going on and how you may be contributing.

I know this is a difficult time for you, but I do hope that things work out and become much more pleasant ferry soon.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Embracing Today
Hello All, With each day that GOD gives us, lets view it as a day of opportunity to begin to embrace self in all forms. Today is the day of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.