Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety for a 9 yr old
An_250837 posted:
I am wondering what others do about there kids having anxiety, He is okay going to school know but he just worries about everything he should not even think of for a kid. He listens to us (my husband and I) And goes from there. I dont really want to put him on anything but need to get some answers. He is only 9yrs old. And when he gets anxiety he gets sick to his stomach. Help Thanks Lu

Take the Poll

help with anxiety for a 9year old son!
  • idk
  • help with anxiety
vote
View Poll Results

CalSunshine responded:
I have a friend whose young son had this same problem. The anxiety led to other serious issues that caused major problems for all family members. They sought professional help for him when they realized that nothing they would do seemed to help. Fortunately, they learned he had a leaning disability plus several other issues. Unfortunately, they had to put him on medication. I say unfortunately, because it was a difficult time finding the right medication and making sure he took it regularly. Today he is a high school senior, making decent grades, working a part-time job, looking forward to college, paying for his own car and the insurance, and still taking meds. (Dad co-signed for the car, and there have been no problems with payments.) Everyone is so proud of this young man! Please have your son get some talk therapy now to head off possible escalation and more heart ache for every one..

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
If he's okay when he goes to school and he only gets anxious when he comes home, then it appears that this would be a situation where family therapy would be appropriate. It sounds like you are describing him listening to your conversations which have content that leads him to believe things are not going well in some way. He is a young child and doesn't really know what is actually going on and is misperceiving problems as he sees them.

Of course, I too believe in conservative measures and since your son isn't anxious all the time, there doesn't appear to be any need for medication. He needs help in understanding the reason he is becoming anxious and that may best be handled, if you don't wish to go to family therapy, with a child psychologist. In this way, he will have an opportunity to express his thoughts and feelings and how they are affecting him.

It is important to get help for him with this now because you don't want this to go on any longer and you certainly don't want it to begin to affect his school work.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.