Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Noise, overwhelms me
mommy2005a posted:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone here might have a similar situation as me. Noises overwhelm me, in my home, it is okay, my husband and child are okay, but, I generally do not like noise. I live in an apartment, and noises such as banging, loud televisions, stereos all overwhelm me and move me to tears and panics. I don't even like my own television too loud.
Its hard to explain, and even more frustrating to live with. There is a history of depression and anxiety in my family. Maybe understanding these both on the personal side as well to a professional side, I just feel silly talking about it.
I come here today because even as I write this I am streaming back tears because I feel overwhelmed. The loud noises confuse me. Am I being silly and hypersensitive? Or is this a real condition in which I might consider getting help from my physician, or is it just me taking my personal preferences too far..I know that this is just an opinion board, but opinions would be so nice, and to know I don't suffer alone.

gardengrower responded:
I don't like alot of noise. I grew up in a small town where it was quiet most of the time. I keep my home quiet and like to walk my dogs in areas where there is not much traffic or other noisy activities. Too much noise makes me nervous but not overwhelmed.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
There are conditions where individuals are hypersensitive to sound and you may have this. I can understand, however, that you would feel uncomfortable revealing this because you probably feel that others don't experience this. But they do.

I hope that you have had a discussion with your PCP about this and you have explored whether or not it would be a wise idea for you to have any type of testing, perhaps with a neurologist or someone who specializes in hearing disorders. This is usually the first step that someone might take because there may be a physical condition that could be causing this. Once that is established (whether it's physical or not), it may be appropriate to have an evaluation with a cognitive psychologist who can teach you some techniques to help you manage this better. It may also be that you are anxious and that is what's causing this hypersensitivity.

The best thing, as I said, is to first find out if there is anything medical that needs to be handled and then you can go on for the evaluation with the psychologist. I hope that things do improve for you very soon.

kangelblue responded:
you don't suffer alone i suffer from noise anxiety and pain to noise, noise confuses me we moved to the country so i could try n live a normal life, just the sound of a car driving down the road three lots away drives me thru the roof. HELP .....

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

The five most unexpected causes: Coffee, Water, Sleep, Exercise, Diet
I have this as well. I have noticed that these symptoms are at there worst when I have had sleep deprivation, too much coffee, have not ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.