Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Weird Sensation
smeagher posted:
Hi
I have been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and likely mild depression. I take celexa, Adderall xc, and trazodone for sleep. Along with some other OTC meds for allergies and the like. About ten or so years ago I used to have these odd episodes where I would have a deja vu like experience. Except it wasn't deja vu, I was remembering how a felt in a particular time in the past, something that I know had happened. It was almost like I would flashback to that moment and being able see, think and experience the exactly same thing I did in whatever I was experience. I would then feel as though I had a knot or tension in the middle of my stomach and then get this tingling (almost painful) feeling taht would start at my head and go down to my toes followed by the sweats and general depressed uneasy feeling. I sometimes would be able to predict when it was happening because I would get a similar sort of light headed tingling experience right before it happened. At some point they went away for several years.

Then yesterday I had a oddly stressful day. I was stressed about going to a meeting in the afternoon and handle it like I usually do, I headed out early and managed to an errand before getting to meeting and then everything was fine. When I got home I got this feeling again I took a clonipin thinking it was related to anxiety or meds wearing off and didn't think much about it. It happened again before I went to bed and then again this morning. This morning flashback or deja vu was very vivid and I know it was from a dream I had, I can't tell you what dream or anything though, because i don't remember anymore. And since then I feel like I have been either fighting another 'attack' I suppose off all day or having lots of little ones, only now I am only experiencing a brief memory flash back or feeling of dread.

Anyone else experience this. The episodes only last a couple of minutes and I think were triggered by anxiety. Although I have been nervous and anxious recently and didn't have the episodes and when I was younger I don't think they always happened when I was or had recently been anxious. I have read that some of the symptoms could part of panic attack, although I feel like they are almost too brief. Or they could be a sign of mild form of epilepsy. Which seems unlikely to me since the symptoms seem to be related to anxiety and I have anxiety. But I thought I would check.

semeagher

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I think your thought that this might be an anxiety disorder or problem because of the stress you have been experiencing at certain times, make sense. Stress can cause all kinds of symptoms including feelings of disorientation, d?j? vu, physical symptoms of sweating and feeling dizzy and any number of other symptoms. I know it is extremely upsetting when this happens, especially if you are anticipating that you will have one because of a stressful situation.

These can be thought of as "anxiety attacks" rather than panic attacks because some of the symptoms we see in panic such as pains in the chest, pounding heartbeat, inability to breathe, etc. don't appear to be present. Despite people's beliefs about panic attacks, they don't last all day and they usually are only present for a relatively brief period of time. When people are experiencing something they believe is a panic attack that lasts all day, it's probably severe anxiety that is present.

I always recommend that anybody who was having any type of physical problems, such as you may be experiencing, have a medical exam just to ensure that there is nothing that needs medical attention. The second thing that I recommend is that you begin to use some self-help measures to manage the anxiety and stress you are experiencing. In our Tips column we do have a number of videos that will be of help to you.

Among the videos present here there is one on a relaxation breathing tutorial that I did prepare and another on positive self-talk which I also prepared. You can also use your iPhone or iPad to access the relaxation breathing video and a relaxing beach scene video on my YouTube channel (drpat22). I believe all of this can be quite helpful to you.

I hope that things improve for you very soon and that you find these techniques work well for you.

smeagher replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thanks I will look into it, and the relaxation breathing.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.