Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can I take Buspar on an as needed basis for anxiety?
An_251023 posted:
I was prescribed Buspar to take on an as needed basis, however my prescription says "Take one to three tablets by mouth two to three times a day as needed". They are 10mg each. I've tried taking one...it doesn't work, so I tried two, that didn't work, so I tried three at a time and still...no relief. I am not sure this is the drug I need, or I may be taking it wrong?? My dr doesn't like to be questioned about her method of prescribing, because the Pharmacist called her about this.....anyway, maybe I need a new doctor. I am really against people changing doctors until they get what they want....I just don't know what to do at this point. Keep trying her method or pursue something else altogether.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It's unfortunate that your physician doesn't understand the need to coordinate treatment with you and your pharmacist. Your pharmacist did the right thing in trying to call your doctor regarding how much medication you should take and how it should be taken.

Not everyone is comfortable with their decisions and some professionals feel their authority is being questioned or their professionalism or both. I suspect that if your physician doesn't wish to be questioned about the medication and how she is prescribing it that there must be other things about which she resists questions also. It's up to you to decide how you wish to be treated as a patient and a person and your physician needs to understand this. This is not a one up, one down situation; you are equals working toward a common goal here.

The medication may, in fact, not be helpful for you and the prescribing instructions may not be helpful either. I'm not an MD, but if you've already taken three pills at a time and it hasn't helped, something needs to be adjusted; either the dose or the medication.

I don't believe that you are doctor shopping nor that you are someone who wants to just get your way. I believe you are a patient who is seeking relief from anxiety and you are not getting it. Second opinions or changing your doctor is always your choice.

I have to say, however, that your pharmacist should be appreciated for trying to help you in this situation, even though a positive response from your physician was not given for this effort.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.