Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety/ Stress or Sphenoid Sinus and Empty Sella Syndrome
yessehm posted:
Hi,
I've been suffering from dizziness/lightheadedness, blurry vision, blocked ears and slight pain on the left side of my face since the past 6 months. My doctor said it was Anxiety and Stress. Done a battery of blood work and finally a CT Scan. Have been refered to a Neurologist but have an appointment only at the end of June, which is 3 months away. This is what the result said.

The midline structures are central and the ventricles are normal in caliber. There is no hemorrhage or mass effect. CSF attenuation is noted within the pituitary fossa compatible with empty sella. Some mucosal thickening and secretions are noted in the left side of the sphenoid sinus.

Will appreciate any advise I can get. THis is driving me crazy that I may have a brain tumor or cancer and the more I read online, the more I'm getting stressed out.

Please help

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can see that you've had a thorough workup and that you are quite familiar with medical terminology and what has been found by the testing that you have had. I'm not an M.D. and I can't provide any information regarding any medical complications that you may be having.

Anxiety and stress certainly can cause a number of problems and I don't think that anyone knows how many physical problems they can cause. For this reason, the diagnosis is often difficult and only made after all medical options have been considered. You indicate that you have been referred to a neurologist and that might be where you may get the answers you seek.

I hope that things do improve and that there are no major problems for you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.