Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
need advice
An_251103 posted:
I have been having these some what of a episodes where I lose focus and then I get lightheaded and have like mini blackout episodes (but I can hear what is going on around me). After an episode of these, I am completely exhausted for 2 days and then I will have this dull headache for 2 weeks. I have had MRI's, EEG, CAT scan and everything came back normal. Doctor thinks that it is a severe migraine, or anxiety attacks but did not prescribed anything for either one. Is there another test I should ask them to run?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can understand not only how difficult this must be since they didn't offer any solution or treatment or even a solid diagnosis, but I am unable to add anything to this. I'm not an M.D. and it does sound like you've had quite a few tests.

The only thing I can think of is for you to consider your entire extended family to see if anyone has ever had anything like this and what, if anything, was done for it. Often, things like this may run in families and what is good for one member will work for another.

If they thought it was severe migraine, did they indicate that there would be other symptoms you might be having? We do know that depression often runs in people who have migraine and there may be some association between the two. If that is so, you might discuss with your doctor whether any type of depression treatment might be helpful to you.

I hope that someone is able to clarify this for you further and that they can help eliminate this disturbing situation.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.