Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    I feel like I am going to cry
    mariah92 posted:
    hi iam a 20 yr old female with no job, simply because people view me as being disabled. yes i do have a speech empediment because i have week muscles. that does not determine my abilities and strengths. today i went to an interview and immediately knew i didnt have the job. friday was the same result and and anytime before. when people talk to me they give me a look that just kills me on the inside. now im stressed out because i really wanted all or atleaset one of the jobs i applied for. i dont know what to do. i wish i could just meet someone who could just help me out and get me in the door to a company atleast, i want to give up i feel as if i am in a closed space with no way out. It has gottem so bad that i feel like i just want to give up.... i want to be independent not having to depend on anyone. i feel like everyone no matter of race or disability should have the dignityof experiencing independence.
    rohvannyn responded:
    Before I come out with advice, I want to say I hear you and support you in your struggle. Even though you don't really have a disability, in a way you do because of how people percieve you. Have you tried letting interviewers know of your medical issue? In many places they are not allowed to discriminate against you if your medical issue doesn't affect your ability to do your job. Best of luck to you. Keep looking, don't give up.
    Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
    I certainly can understand how it must make you feel when you are at an interview and you get the feeling that there is something amiss. You indicated that you have a speech impediment because of weak muscles and that leads me to believe that you have had some type of treatment and a diagnosis in the past. Were you ever sent for any type of speech therapy? I do believe you would be entitled to this service provided by most state governments.

    What I would suggest is that you explore finding out which services are available in your state so that you can get some help in terms of possible rehab treatment or in job placement. You may also be entitled to coverage under the Americans with Disabilities Act and there are some employers who seek out individuals with this type of coverage.

    Many rehab facilities and hospitals will be able to direct you via their social workers to services to which you are entitled. Please explore this because I think it will make you feel much better knowing that you do have help and there are options for you.

    There may be even opportunities for free training in some type of specialty work that can be provided to you also. In fact, many community colleges do receive grants to help people get retrained for skills that are marketable. In your case, it might be a skill that is not highly dependent on your speaking too much and that might be helpful along with speech rehab.

    I hope you find this helpful and I do hope that things improve for you in the future very soon.

    Featuring Experts

    Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

    Helpful Tips

    Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
    Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    68 of 85 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.