Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Same Thing Different Way?
Invisible70 posted:
I have PTSD and either TBI or MCI. They are currently undecided but in either case I have significant memory and cognitive loss. I'm having a great deal of problems in my marriage as you can imagine. One of the biggest problems in our communication is that I have this involuntary habit of saying the same thing in a varity of ways during the same conversation. Something like" *** you know what I mean it's like ***...".and maybe a few other times. She frequently cuts me off saying she gets what I mean but then I automatically feel like she is controlling what I get to say and what I don't. I try and tell her that she doesn't get to tell me when my time is up, I let her speak and listened now she should let me but she insisted that it isn't fair she should have to listen................and so it begins. So I guess I wonder is this common. Am I simply wrong or broke beyond my condition? Please help,

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Right now you and your wife are in a difficult time in your marriage because of your impairments. In addition to having your diagnosis clarified, I would think you and your wife would benefit from some marriage counseling. Anyone who is trying to contend with a cognitive impairment of memory understands how frustrating it can be for themselves and for anyone who has a relationship with them. It's not something that can be easily done considering the emotional component and, for that reason, I would suggest marriage counseling.

I'm hopeful that once you do receive your definitive diagnosis that they will provide you with some cognitive rehab.

I hope things do work out well for you because I know this must be both frustrating and emotionally painful for both of you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

I have anxiety problems my whole life but I have had a lot more attacks lately. Any opinions to why?
I drove my bike to my house and when i got inside I started hearing things and then called my dad because he has had panic attacks too. He ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.