Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety help needed
hueygirl posted:
My anxiety has been increasing lately. It's to the point where I feel like I'm going to pass out. This happens a lot when I go to work or have to go out in public. I have worked at the same job for 14 years and this fear of it is new. I need help. I honestly think being dead would be better than this suffering. I started writing in my journal again in hopes it helps. Any advice?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not sure what the cause of your high anxiety level might be but I would recommend that you have a medical checkup. There may be things which can be done to address either an undiagnosed medical condition or a need for dietary change or even lifestyle change. I'm not advocating psychiatric medication, but rather looking for the most conservative approach to help you.

In today's economy, working anywhere, even somewhere you been for 14 years, can be stressful because of the uncertainty that all of us are feeling. What can you do? As I said, the first stop is a medical exam. The next step is for you to evaluate your life and see where there may be places that you can make changes that are going to help you. I'm thinking specifically of the number of hours you sleep each night, your diet, regular, moderate exercise and getting out and having some fun with friends or family. Remember, just as we need to eat a balanced diet each day, we need to have balance in our life and when any of that balance is missing, the result can be heightened anxiety.

Exercise, remember, doesn't have to be anything that exhausts you. It can be as simple as doing walking in place while you're doing the dishes, walking up and down stairs, taking walks, or even doing exercises in an office chair. We do have some exercises on my website's (www.drfarrell.net) Videos page and I also have a relaxation breathing video tutorial there as well as on YouTube and here in our Tips column. So there are a number of things that you can take advantage of that can be helpful.

In fact, if you have a laptop computer, an iPad or even a cell phone, you can use your web browser to go to my YouTube channel (drfarrell22) and watch the four-minute relaxation, beach scene with music. Music is a wonderful stress and anxiety reliever and I urge you to also use this technique. Find something that is calming and soothing and keep it around wherever you happen to be either in your home or at your place of work.

I hope things do improve for you very soon and that you feel much better.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.