Includes Expert Content
sorry to bother you
jaws82 posted:
Hey gang, life's not treating us well. Just found out from my neurosurgeon that my lower back condition is going to get worse and that the arthritis will possibly put me in a wheelchair in next 4-5 years. I already have a steel rod in my neck and I am running out of reasons to stay in this horrid life. I know suicide is selfish but staying alive and have people to take care of you, no thanks.So, I have a lot of things to take care of.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can understand that your neurosurgeon's opinion must have been very upsetting, especially since you already have had a steel rod placed in your neck. I think you need to remember one thing and that is that this is one person's opinion and you may wish to seek the opinion of others.

I've seen quite a few articles lately regarding the benefits of physical rehab in certain painful back conditions as well as conditions of the knee that would have required surgery in the past. So don't give up hope because there may be things that can be done that will enable you to be more independent and mobile than your surgeon thought.

I hope that you are not seriously considering hurting yourself because I'm sure there are people who love you and want to help you. This is the time to seek them out and also to seek additional information regarding your condition and what can be done about it.

I do hope that things improve for you and that there are things you discover which will be helpful to you.

jaws82 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I have been in a mindset all my life to committ to taking care of others, not people taking care of me= 25 years as a nurse coming to an abrupt end because of back/neck problems. Very Type A working in a busy ER= loss of self esteem, self worth= major depression. Also being on opiods for the past 3 years is horrible. I will not go thru withdrawls as I will take myself out before that happens again. So, thus is my plight.........