Skip to content
Spouse with severe anxiety
An_251199 posted:
It has been a few years since I posted on this community...

Just wondering if there are any folks on this site that have spouses with anxiety? My husband has been suffering from severe anxiety, depression, and agoraphobia for over 6 years. Sometimes I think I am the one that needs help since many of my friends and family do not understand what it is like for him to go through these things and what it is like for me to care for him. It is hard enough for me to understand some days what he goes through and how I survive.

Anyone else out there? Would love to chat a bit and share stories. Maybe learn from others!

rohvannyn responded:
My spouse has anxiety. So do I, but from different things. It's not easy to deal with at times, I agree with you. One thing that I've noticed is that when she is feeling extreme anxiety (PTSD as well as other things) I end up feeling like I need to be the "strong one" and help her out, but then afterwards I often feel somewhat unsupported myself because her issues can touch off some of mine. But somebody has to hold things together.

This may or may not help you, but you might want to look at resources meant to help caregivers. You aren't your husband's caregiver, it is true, but some of the same issues are common to you and the caregivers of adults. The advice to do special things for yourself from time to time holds true. Do what you can to support yourself, and reach out to others for support and commiseration as you can.

The fact that you are here is a good step, and I for one understand and am listening.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 78 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.