Skip to content
Help Me Please.
Jose1127 posted:
Hi.. Ummm.. I honestly do not know how to even start this. For as long as I can remember, I've always been anxious and small stuff would startle me like.. If I touched a can of bug spray, I would wash my hands for about 15 minutes. Or I would wrap my hands in Plastic and gloves before touching any chemical substance that I thought was harmful. In May, 2012.. a few days before my graduation, I went into this HUGE panic attack around 4am. for a while now, I had been having the worse sleep schedule ever. After watching a horror film (Insidious) where the boy gets trapped in his dream, I became really scared of sleeping. I know its just a Hollywood film and stuff, but It scares me so much. Lucid dreaming as well, terrifies me so much. I got over the sleep anxiety but I still get panic attacks for no reason. Or I fear that I will go crazy and that I'll never be able to get my normal life back. I really hate this feeling. I'm 18 years old. (I'm a guy) and... I cry until I laugh. Because of how I feel. I get so angry that I cry, and I cry so much that it makes me laugh. I read so many of these Discussion group things and it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. But I would LOVE to get rid of this feeling. It interferes with my every day life. Please.. anyone.. help me. I'm tired of feeling this way. This gives me the worst insomnia! Someone please... talk to me. I just need someone that'll understand!

rohvannyn responded:
You will find many here who understand. I certainly do! Sometimes the fear and anxiety get so overwhelming that it's difficult to even imagine being outside of them. Many people will reccommend breathing exercises, but did you know why? This was amazing for me to learn, but you can actually trick your body into being calmer by breathing deeply and slowly. If you breathe shallowly and rapidly, the body thinks it's still in danger and continues freaking out and dumping adrenaline into your system. If you slow your breathing and force yourself to act in a calm way, the body starts thinking maybe things aren't so bad after all. Meditation can help with this.

Distracting yourself can also help. Having a warm beverage or a little hot food can help too. A few more tips: Look at stressful areas of your life and try to find ways to make them less stressful, sometimes anxiety comes up when you feel out of control in other areas and just being 18 can be a very stressful time. If you have people you can ask for advice or help, be they family members or community members, do that. It doesn't make you weak or foolish. Also, make sure you are only doing relaxing things before bed. Remind yourself constantly that dreams can't hurt you, if you do that consistantly, eventually you will get your mind to accept it.

And if you need to talk to a doctor or professional, remember they are there to help you, there's nothing to be ashamed of. Feel free to post here. We will understand.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.