Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can someone relieve my OCD anxiety?
scarface94 posted:
A week ago I stared at the sun for like 3 seconds. Maybe 4 seconds, 5 seconds at tops. I can see perfectly but I'm just paranoid that it could have ruined something in my eyes. I see no noticeable difference with my vision. Also there is no pain or discomfort.[br>[br>This is really bugging me because naturally I have great vision and I have really bad OCD. I can't get this off of my mind

scarface94 responded:
I'm an 18 year old male btw

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, Scarface94- If you have OCD, then you already know that it loves to grab onto any theme that is important to you personally. Like the health of your eyes! So now you have a decision: "Do I treat this as an OCD event, or do I treat this as a relevant concern?" Worry is supposed to be step-one of the problem-solving process. This means that if you think you have a legitimate concern, then act on it, don't just sit there and worry. Call an optometrist or an ophthalmologist, and ask your question to whomever answers the phone: "I accidentally stared at the sun for up to five seconds. I don't see any noticeable difference in my vision. Should I be concerned? Should I come in for an exam?" Then take whatever advice they give you as the correct advice. End of discussion. Ask no one else. Now if you keep obsessing about your eyes, treat those worries as noise, as the repetitious, unproductive thinking of OCD. [You should be vastly familiar with this type of noise regarding other topics you worry about.> If you have OCD, those thoughts are going to pop up; that's a given. Notice those mental questions, choose to not answer those questions in any way, and then tolerate the doubt and distress that follows. Do not care one bit about those obsessions about your eyes popping up. You're not in control of those obsessions popping up. None of us are. You are only in control of what you do next. Now you're working on your OCD!

scarface94 replied to Reid Wilson, PhD's response:
Thank you so much for your response. I have asked many people on different forums this exact question, and most people say I will be fine but some people say that I did damage my eyes, and that starts the worrying up all over again. Do you think these people who aren't eye experts have no idea what they're talking about?

rohvannyn replied to scarface94's response:
I'm no doctor, but I think it likely that many folks have no idea what they are talking about. As regards the eye issue (the doctor gave such awesome advice I won't worry about the OCD aspect), I really doubt you did any damage. Why do I think this? Because when you stare at the sun too long and burn your eye you will see an effect. You will have a bright floater that doesn't go away at first, or a dark spot, or some noticeable problem. If I looked at the sun and did not have any ill effects, I wouldn't worry, but I'd be more careful next time. Getting looked at by an optical professional would, of course, be the best way to be sure.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Fish oil 1000mg can help with the brain shivers/zaps.
Hey guys, I myself am a sufferer of the terrible effexor withdrawal. I am here to tell you there is hope in getting off of this drug and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.