Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this caused by stress/anxiety?
Thomasmgp posted:
About 10 years ago I started having an irregular hearbeat along with pressure in my chest, shortness of breath, and tingling/numbness from my left armpit down into my fingers. Naturally it scared the hell out of me so went to the ER. They ran some tests and said I was fine. I was only 22 then and have no history of heart problems on either my Mom or Dad's side of the family. But they never stopped and have only gotten worse.

The only way to put it is they piss me off. I cant sleep when they start and they only bother me at night when Im trying to go to sleep. When they start occurring I cant sleep at all and usually they end up keeping me awake the entire night. In the last 10 years I have worn a holter monitor for 2 months, had half a dozen EKGs done, Echocardiogram, Stress test, chest X Rays and MRIs, and blood tests and all I seem to be doing is throwing money at doctors because 2 different radiologists and a cardiologist have said my heart is in great shape. If they keep telling me my heart is fine then why cant I sleep at night because of irregular beats and how do I make them stop so I can sleep?

Worrywart911 responded:
Hi, I have similiar questions as you. I have had epidisodes or spells where I get a very strange feeling. My chest tightens, I have difficulty breathing. I've even had weird pain in my left arm and jaw and felt like I was choking. I have been to the ER three times in the past 5 years, had 3 stress tests, all to come back fine. My most recent stress test being in Feb. I leave the ER, with a diagnosis of unexplained chest pain. These episodes subsided for a few years but I'm now experiencing them again. Last night I experienced the same symptons and was awake all night. I didn't go to ER, even though I was scared to death I was dying. I missed work again. I'm a lot older than you and I have a very stressful job. Or at least I feel it's a stressful job. I take my job very seriously and have a tendancy to be a perfectionist. I too wish someone could just flat out tell me what the heck these episodes are. I do not believe a panic attack can last all night long. I'm confused, scared, worried and completely fed up. I just want to go to work, do a good job and take care of my responsibilites. But whatever this is prevents me from feeling normal. I see a counselor every 4 weeks. I suffer from major depression. I have been told I have panic disorder, but in the back of my mind I worry I have a serious medical problem and it's going to kill me. I don't want to live like this. My Dr. just prescribed more meds to anxiety. I'm tired of being a freak.. Thanks for listening.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.