Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
tetanus an cat scratches
huskey1985 posted:
OK so I haven't had a tetanus shot in like 15-20 years an I got scratched pretty deep by a cat an I'm terrified I'm going to get tetanus because I heard that its in feces an cats use litter boxes so my aniexty is through the roof I avnt really slept in like 3 days an can't get into my doc for another week someone please tell me I'm just being crazy as usual....i could really use a good night sleep

rohvannyn responded:
If you washed the scratch really well (like you should with any deep cat scratch) your risk of tetanus is minimal. If it bled some, so much the better. If there is a lot of redness or heat in the injury site, or if you see red lines coming from the wound, see a doctor. Meantime, if you have a doctor, getting a tetanus booster wouldn't hurt, just for peace of mind. Prevention is good, after all! I have cats and get scratches from them quite frequently and have never once gotten tetanus. Now get some rest!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.