Skip to content
Is this anxiety?!
franceslee posted:
So, my doctors have told me that I have anxiety but its hard for me to accept! They didn't really do any testing besides blood work and physical.....how can they say its just anxiety and they didn't do any further testing??

I can go for long periods where I feel ok then all of the sudden I will start not feeling right and it goes from there. Example: Last night I checked my blood pressure and it was elevated along with my heart rate so it really worried me! I woke up and its still up (under 120) and I just cant quit thinking that there is something wrong with my health! I do have some of the sinus stuff going on and my eyes are crusty and my eyes feel like there is a film on them with really doesn't help matters!!

What can I do? What should I try to calm down and quit worrying so much about my health??

BTW, I'm 33, over weight, suffer from high blood pressure, pre-diabetes and anxiety (?).

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Tiffanys81 responded:
hi my name is tiffany and I know how u feel I go through it almost everyday if my head hurts I think im dieing or when I get jumpy my neck n throat hurts I think I cant breath but I have found that doing yoga n breathing deeply helps a lot I hope this helps n I hope u know u r not alone

Echo0383 responded:
Hello. From what you described with feeling fine and a quick on-set, it sounds a bit more like a panic-attack. Regardless, it's anxiety that sounds quite sharp and debilitating. The deep breathing techniques suggested are a good idea.

As far your doctors, it sounds as though they're internists or general practitioners and not a psychiatrist who has the same basic medical training and degree but who specialize in mental illness & disorders. It sounds as though your doctors found nothing abnormal in your tests or physical work-up beyond your medical conditions and that would cause the anxiety-like symptoms. Thus, a general diagnosis of "anxiety."

At this point, they might give you a small amount of anti-anxiety medication such as Ativan and ought to recommend the need for a psychiatrist. They may give you a referrals or suggest you find one through your insurance.

A psychiatrist will be specially trained in assessing the type of anxiety you have and determining the best treatment. After an assessment interview, they will likely prescribe you specific psychiatric medication(s) to target your anxiety symptoms. It may be a medication that you take everyday or one that is "PRN", short for the Latin "Pro re nata" meaning "as needed" to take during panic attacks or acute episodes of anxiety.

Many psychiatrists these days are "biological psychiatrists" or "psychopharmacologists" and only provide medication treatment and management. A good psychiatrist will also recommend that you see a psychotherapist (clinical psychologist, social worker, or MFT/Marriage & Family Therapist) for psychological treatment. Specifically, in cases of anxiety disorders and panic attacks, the type of therapy indicated would be "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" or CBT. Research has shown that the best outcomes often come from a combination of medication treatment and therapy.

I hope that helps and good luck!

-Adam

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.