Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Any suggestions?
An_251924 posted:
I am right now in the throws of a full-blown panic attack. I came online looking for some help. I've taken a Xanax (over an hour ago now) and it is not helping. Normally, I can "talk myself down", but for whatever reason I can't seem to shake it. My whole body is tense, my mouth is dry, my heart is racing and I feel like I'm going to vomit. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me?

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, An_251924-
I am sorry to hear of your struggle with that panic attack. Showing up two days late, I guess I'm a little late to the game. I don't know what you typically say when you talk yourself down but, as you know, one of the best interventions is to do nothing: to allow the panic symptoms to exist, to tolerate those terribly uncomfortable sensations and, to the best of your ability, not fight to get rid of them. We know clearly now that to resist, fight, and try to get rid of a panic attack is the most likely way to keep it going.if some of the things you say to yourself resemble "I can handle these feelings", or "I can wait this out. It's uncomfortable but not dangerous", then you are moving in the right direction.

Savahanna responded:
Im going threw the same thing! ur not alone. ur normal. We cant help what our bodies decide to do just remember that. Try to distract urself even tho i know thats really hard to do. Ul be ok.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.