Skip to content
Klonopin Withdraw
tkellyvt1 posted:
I've been taking 0.25mg of klonopin 2x a day. Once in the morning and once at night for about 6 months. I've talked with my doctor about how to start tapering off it. I'm curious what others people experience was tapering off a similar dose of klonopin. Did it go relatively well?

Echo0383 responded:
With the obvious caveat that it varies & depends on one's individual make-up, tapering off Klonopin has been smooth in my personal experience. I also supervise med administration and dosing schedules in my work and properly titrating off Klonopin doesn't seem to be too bumpy a ride for many. It's popular among the benzodiazepine with it's long half-life and a soft bell curve which makes it something of a self-tapering med. The amount you are on is quite small relative to the dose range I see of 1-2mg 3-4x/day. Your doctor may simply discontinue the AM or PM 0.25 dose and see how it goes. If you're going off of it completely and barring any problems, they might then simply discontinue the other 0.25mg dose a week or two later. If you're going off it completely it might be a good idea to talk with your doctor about a small amount on hand for as needed/PRN just in case. Good luck and hope that helps!

gfghdfhd responded:
I did it for about six months pretty much talked into it by a doctor and therapist that worked closely together. The old doctor thought seroquel would be a better anxiety med. Made me sleep all day. Did matter to much when I quit klonopin except I had panic attacks all the time and they increased. I was off it for six months and panic progressively got worse. I fired that doctor and the new doctor I got thought the old doctor was nuts or I was lying why he gave me the seroquel. I"ve been living like this for a long time now and I have met people that do okay without the med crutch, but they still can't hold a regular full time job. I believe it is different for all. Keep your head up, find a good doctor that educates you on YOUR medical decisions.. It is your body and you will slowly find things that help some... I like to meditate

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.