Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Going Blank
Frank1958 posted:
I am a 55 year old man who has for the best part of the past 30 years found myself very lonely and depressed. I try desperately to make friends and when I first meet someone I am good to talk for a little bit but it seems the longer I know someone the harder it becomes for me to talk with them. I watch people enviously as they spend hours is comfortable easy conversation but and I cant for the life of me figure out how they do it. I can recount a few things about the day or about something that has happened but people quickly get bored with me. I see their eyes wondering around to find others, excusingthemselves in the middle of my sentence. I can see the akawardness and discomfort in them. When someone else comes over their attention turns to them no matter what I am saying ... and it hurts... then I also find that my mind goes blank. I can't think of anything to say... People I care deeply for and love and that I know love me as well are just not comfortable around me and so I end up alone... and it has been for so many years and I am soooo tierd of it... and don't know what to do anymore.... What is wrong with me....????? !!!!!

rohvannyn responded:
I can relate. It's tough when other people don't get what you are saying, and when you have communication troubles that's even worse. I have a problem sometimes where I don't inflect right when I speak, or I use the wrong intonation. It muddies the waters and totally ruins the communication. Consequently, people get the wrong idea about what I say, I get embarrassed and retreat, and communication stops. I wonder if you are experiencing the same thing?

You seem quite intelligent and articulate. Perhaps speaking to someone who is a behaviorist, or studying the subject, might help? Or reading books on effective communication?

Thanks for being here. I wish you the best.

Frank1958 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you Rohvannyn
it is good to share with an understanding person. I apreciate your suggestions and hope that we can both work through these issues. I feel we have a lot to offer to others and this world and to have this block or missunderstanding hinder and keep us apart would be a terrible waste. Be well and I wish you the best.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.