Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please Help
Murphy0582 posted:
Hi,
I'm 28 years old and have been dealing with spells of lightheadedness/dizziness and fatigue (at times almost feeling like I'm detached from anything that's going on) for the last year. To give a little background on myself I have drank heavily for about 7 years (I drank hard liquor and wine at least 4-5 nights a week during this entire span). When I started getting these symptoms a year ago my drinking kind of tapered off because of fear that it was causing this. I've had blood tests done, had a heart echo, EKG, brain MRI, and spoke to a neurologist during this time with no answers found. When these symptoms come on I first feel very weak and almost like I haven't eaten in awhile and then just start to get lightheaded. This is usually followed by a feeling of being very hot and having an increased heartbeat. At times it's been so bad I've felt like I was going to pass out. My doctor said that it could be anxiety, and I began to talk to a therapist for a little bit, however I no longer have insurance and can't afford to keep going. I'm also skeptical that it's anxiety because the symptoms feel so physical and affect my whole body. My blood tests have only shown an increased triglyceride level (329). I am not in the greatest shape, however I am trying to diet and exercise more regularly. I also have had trouble sleeping for years and have become somewhat dependant on taking benadryl or some form of that drug to fall asleep over the last 5-6 years. If there is any insight into what could be wrong I would really appreciate it, or if there is anyone who deals with the same type of problem and would like to weigh in please do. Thank you, this is really ruining my life and I would give anything to feel normal again.

AmandaRay210 responded:
I have many of the same symptoms as you. I'm 26 and have been dealing with anxiety for about 3 years now. I've had just about every symptom. When I get bad panic attacks, my heart races, palms sweat, hands shake. Basically, very uncomfortable. Recently I've been getting dizzy and feeling lightheaded. I've had the lightheadedness in the past, but it usually goes away in a few months. The other day I was at work and I got really dizzy which triggered a panic attack. I'm not sure if the dizziness was caused by anxiety or not, but I hear it's a common symptom. Very scary!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.