Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dizziness/lightheaded
AmandaRay210 posted:
Hi, I'm 26 and have been dealing with anxiety for 3 years. I've had panic attacks off and on for about a year now. I've come to terms with the fact that I have an anxiety disorder. For a while I was I denile about it. I've had all the fun symptoms chest pains, heart palps, headaches, stomach aches, sweating hands, tingling sensations and my personal favorite, lightheadedness. After many trips to the doc, I realize I have bad anxiety. I don't know what causes it, but it makes me miserable. I'm tired of letting it run my life. Sometimes I can't even sit through class. And I'm on grad school for counseling! I never had problems like this 3 years ago. My newest symptom is diziness. Sometimes when I'm at work and get anxious, I feel like I could fall over. I've read that it's usually cause by your body flooded with adrenaline. Does anyone else suffer from this? Any tips to reduce it? I've tried deep breathing. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, AmandaRay210- I'm glad to hear you are ready to solve your anxiety problem. I can't tell from your post whether you are having panic attacks or whether you are feeling these symptoms less intensely throughout the day. You asked for tips, so here is one.
Surprisingly, when you practice those breathing skills you mention, they tend to work best when you include a particular attitude. If you take a relaxing breath and simultaneously think, "I hope this works; I can't stand these terrible feelings," the breathing skill tends to not help much. Your amygdala hears a message of, "This is a problem that has to be fixed, right now!", and it tends to secrete more epinephrine, which generates more uncomfortable feelings. So addressing your point of view when the symptoms come is a strategy that I recommend. Here's one to consider: "These sensations are really uncomfortable right now. I'm going to take a calming breath to see if I can quiet them down. If that helps, great! If it doesn't help, and I'm still anxious, I can handle that too."

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.