Skip to content
Is Anxiety causing this?
tlk1980 posted:
I have been treated for anxiety now for about 6 years. I am currently taking Effexor XR 150mg daily. I would like to think its working but just as of recently I have had terrible problems with mood swings and the way I over react to things that are so minimal and really have to effect on life. My boyfriend with whom I have a 7 month old baby girl just recently told me that he does not see us working out long term if I continue to freak out all the time about nothing. One day I freaked out and went nuts because there was dirt all over in our entry way and no one had cleaned it up. Or when I feel like things around the house are really disorganized I have a tendency to get upset and remind everyone how orderly I want the house to stay and I know my expectations are set way to high because between the two of us, we have 5 kids ranging in age... 7 month old, 2 year old, 4 year old, 6 year old & a 10 year old. I get very frustrated with all of our kids very easily. I never take time to enjoy them, rather I am constantly complaining about how they make messes and don't pick up after themselves. My anxiety goes through the roof when we have all 5 because of the high standard I have for them. I expect them not to fight, not to make a mess, eat all their supper etc. I basically expect them to be perfect, and when they aren't, I get very mad and then I blow up about everything related to the issue and non related! Help me please! I don't want to keep having mood swings, over reacting and not enjoying our kids! I need some advice!!

jfoster14 responded:
Hi, I read your post and really felt I needed to reachout. First, believe you are not alone in dealing with issues with depression/anxiety. I have been treated for depression most of my adult life. It runs in my family, as does anxiety. I am a 55 yr old grandmother so know this issue is not new to me. The best advice I can offer is to talk this over with your doctor. The anti-depressant need time to work, I was told at least 2 weeks. Your doctor will know the history of your treatment and can best discuss your history. If your docor won't take time to sit with you and go over the issues, find another doctor and get a second opinion. Having 5 kids under 10 yrs old can be very overwhelming. If you need another resource to get help, contact the local mental heath board. Reach out to these professionals, they can steer you the right way for help. They are use to talking to folks in crisis and won't mind listening to your story even if you are crying during the entire conversation. As I said before, you are not alone in dealing with these problems and there are better means of getting help than a web page. But please, first talk to your doctor and be sure to be upfront with him/her so he/she understands the pain you are feeling. My two cents, hope it helped.

tlk1980 replied to jfoster14's response:
Thanks for your two cent to be honest, any advice/opinions I can get at this point are greatly appreciated. I spoke to my Dr. over the weekend and she is suggesting I get set up for counseling to also help deal with my anxiety issues. This will be my next step and I pray that it helps!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.