Skip to content
Anxiety problem please help!
An_252641 posted:
Hello everyone,

I hope I really get a response from this posts since I am in a situation that is really worrying to me.

A couple of months ago I ended a 2 year long relationship with this girl. I started to drink alcohol almost every day. In December I had a 4-5 day binge drinking party for new years and had to be taken to the hospital because I was too dehydrated and had serious anxiety. My parents just called it a "hangover".

However, since that day, every time I consume alcohol (either 1 beer, or 1 drink, or 10 beers or 10 drinks) I get very anxious the very next day, I have trouble sleeping, I get a sense of guilt. Sometimes the anxiety is so severe that I question life and our existence. Not suicidal thoughts, but existence in general. I feel like I am dreaming.

I have been having lots of financial trouble as well. I have been very stressed out because of money and that my relationship with this girl ended the way it did. I dont know if my personal feelings (being stressed out by money & guilt over my ex) dont mix well with alcohol but I find my symptoms to be way too harsh to only be related to my feelings.

I just want to know what you guys think and what should I do. I would really appreciate your cooperation. Thank you!!

rohvannyn responded:
I think it's entirely possible that your anxiety could be causing all of this. Regarding the new year party, your folks were absolutely wrong to dismiss it by calling it a hangover.

To me, it sounds like your body and mind are trying to tell you that you should avoid alcohol for a little while. A similar thing happens to me when I overindulge, I go through a period where I feel sick and don't want to touch the stuff. I consider it simply my body telling me that I need to take a rest. Eventually I can drink again, just more moderately and with greater care.

I think your reactions are stronger because on top of the physical trauma of the alcohol poisoning, you also have these other stresses and strong emotions which compound it. Finding ways to manage that stress, and perhaps eliminating some of it, will help you immensely.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.