Anxiety causing trouble breathing
An_252654 posted:
I have suffered from various anxiety problems for years, to the point of making probably 6 visits to the ER thinking I am having a heart attack. They check everything and it is fine, I go home with no problems until the next episode.
For the past several months, I get attacks of my whole throat, stomach and lungs tightening up. It is especially troublesome when I walk for exercise, as it becomes hard to breath normally. It has gotton to the point I start getting tight just preparing to walk. I need to lose weight, so I don't need anything to deter me from getting the exercise I need.
Sometimes it remains for hours, such as right now, where I am breathing ok, but my throat is tight like I have swallowed something that stuck and I feel a bit queasy. I had a upper GI about a year ago but nothing was found. It seems to be just tension and it is controlling my life.
I was on Zoloft, but it didn't seem to help, so my Psychiatrist switches me to Effexor. It's only been a few days. I also take Ativan when needed (1 MG) to help relieve these symptoms. It seems to not help much. I know I need a few weeks for the Effexor to take hold, but in the meantime I wonder if I need a higher dose of Ativan. I don't want to be loopy, but I want to relax. It also totally affects my sleep, as I am restless and don't drop off to sleep until maybe 12-1. Then I am up at 6 and not rested.
Any advise or anyone have similar problems that they have solved? Thanks.

naynat2bg responded:
Hello,

I just got done reading your post and I felt the need to comment :> Now I am no doctor, but I have struggled with depression and anxiety (several times very severe). I will share with you what has helped me through the years and hopefully it will be of some help to you!! I know EXACTLY what you're going through and how absolutely HORRIBLE it can make you feel and how intense it can effect your life.I went through NUMEROUS trial and error treatments with the doctors, ie... Effexor, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Pristique, Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax, Zanaflex, Buspar (these trials were from the age of 14 to 28 - I know that I probably seem like a HUGE addict w/a list like that), but I finally found the combination of medications that works for me! With all of that background being said I'll finally get to the point, lol! For me, the anti-depressant Lexapro was a God-Send!!! Now as far as my anxiety attacks and controlling them there are two that work well (for me) and those are Valium and Xanax. My most successful combo is the Lexapro and Valium though. The Xanax seemed to really make my body/joints hurt badly! It really worked but I just couldn't stand the pain! Everyone is different so I don't know if my story will help but I thought that I would share. I sincerely hope that you get your situation under control ASAP! Prayers sent your way! Let me know how it turns out. Good luck and God Bless!!
P.S. I'm attaching some links that may be helpful for you

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/22728-anxiety-symptoms/