Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
debilitating anxiety
ermitu12 posted:
Within the last year and a half I have developed a paralyzing anxiety disorder. I thought it was postpartum and so did my doctor, until it didn't go away. I go on medicine and it got much better. I went off of the medicine bc of side effects and it stay away for at least 6 months. It is now back. It is so bad that I throw up. I believe it might be social anxiety disorder. That is just so weird because I have always been the most social person on the planet. I can't even go back to college because of my anxiety. I have panic attacks in traffic and can't go anywhere with a lot of people. I just want some help. I don't know what to do about it.

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, ermitu12- it might be helpful to get a proper diagnosis of your anxiety disorder. Panic attacks in traffic is not social anxiety disorder (SAD), and getting anxious around a lot of people doesn't necessarily imply social anxiety either. SAD typically relates to feeling worried about making mistakes in front of others, such as stumbling over words or going blank, and fearing that you will be judged or criticized for it.you can go here to take a simple assessment to get a general sense of what anxieties you might need to work on.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.