Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
chest symptoms scare me
An_251362 posted:
I've been dealing with anxiety for some time now and I feel like I'm slowly starting to get everything under control. Certain symptoms scare me more than others though ans the chest symptoms really bother me. If I press the middle of my chest its painful almost like I worked out really hard and its sore and I also feel short of breath sometimes and every once in awhile when I'm really worrying about my symptoms ill start to get a random sharp pain that lasts from 5 to 30 seconds. Does anyone ever have these symptoms and how do you cope with them?

tenseashell responded:
I would get a check-up to rule out heart problems, just to be safe; but I have been to the ER 5 times with chest pain and it is always ruled as an anxiety attack and I go home in an hour or so feeling better. At the time, it feels like you may die at any moment. The mind is so complex. Maybe if you got a check-up, you would feel better just knowing you are not having a heart problem. A mild anti-anxiety med might be of help like Ativan

olivia24 responded:
I AM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE BUT I READ THE POSTS AND WANTED TO TALK ABOUT THE ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS. I HAVE BEEN HAVING BOTH AXIETY AND PANIC DISORDERS FOR THE PAST 3-4 MONTHS. I AM SEEING A THEROPIST FOR A FEW WEEKS NOW BUT I DONT THINK SHE UNDERSTANDS WHAT I GO THREW. IF U ARE HAVING CHEST PAINS I THINK U SHOULD GO GET A EKG JUST INCASE. BUT IM GLADE I FOUND THIS PAGE IT HELPS THANX FOR LISIONING

Reid Wilson, PhD replied to olivia24's response:
hey, olivia24 -
Thanks for posting. You may be right that your therapist doesn't understand panic. But there are lots who do. The best thing is to become an educated consumer of mental health. Read up on the self-help sites that offer you information on panic. Here is the one that I developed: click here . But there are many others. Plus, there are many good self-help books on panic. Here is the one that I wrote: click here .

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.