Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pervasive Anxiety
An_252793 posted:
I don't seem to fit the criteria for GAD, but I have what I call "pervasive anxiety" which is a high baseline level of anxiety which makes it difficult for me to face even very basic problems or hurdles in my day to day life. Is there such a thing as pervasive anxiety?

Sarah4567 responded:
My cognitive therapist told me that if your anxiety is based on your inability to tolerate uncertainty, then it is most likely generalized anxiety disorder. I've never heard of pervasive anxiety but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, An_252793-
There is not a diagnostic category called "pervasive anxiety." People who have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) are worriers. And they worry about a variety of topics, not just one theme. The major topics are health and illness, family and relationships, work or school, money... and the biggest category, endorsed by about 92%, is "minor things." They get nickled-and-dimed all day by little worries.

By the way, the earlier response to you mentioned intolerance of uncertainty. Actually, all the anxiety disorders take advantage of people's intolerance of uncertainty, not just GAD.

zoecallie responded:
I also am experiencing a very high level of anxiety that has taken over my life. I am worried and sometimes terrified of a variety of things. I have lost a significant amount of weight and it's difficult to eat. I feel I am also depressed. But the worry, anxiety, and fear is pervasive. I can relate. I know I need help and you do too. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.