Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
First Psychiatric Visit
An_252864 posted:
So I really don't know whats up with me I have my first appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow and I really have no idea what to expect at all. I've been seeing a counselor at my college because I have had a really hard time with my classes and well just life in general. It's taken me about 5 years to convince my mom into letting me going to talk to a doctor, she still isn't crazy about me going but I'm 20 and after failing 3 classes I need to see someone. Pretty much the counselor told me that she believes it's possible I have an anxiety problem, adult ADHD, or bipolar. (I'm adopted and on my birth records it says my birth mother had bipolar disorder) I don't know I guess I'm just trying to figure out what might happen at the appointment, how long it may take to get some kind of idea of whats going on, and opinions on if I am diagnosed with something if medicine is a good idea.

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey An_252864-
By now you have had that appointment with the psychiatrist. The most important issue right now is: how did you feel about how she or he talked to you? Did they ask the right questions? Did you respect their opinion? It may actually take them more than one session to complete a diagnostic interview, but that's what you want: to get a diagnosis, if there is one, related to your complaints. If you don't feel good about this psychiatrist, I recommend that you try again. (Most colleges have a psychiatrist on staff within that Student Health Center.)
I'm so glad you were willing to press ahead with your need to talk to someone, despite your mom's opinion. Great going! Way to take care of yourself! A sign of maturity is our ability to identify when we do not have the inner resources to take care of ourselves and we seek resources from others.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Embracing Today
Hello All, With each day that GOD gives us, lets view it as a day of opportunity to begin to embrace self in all forms. Today is the day of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.