Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Panic with Memory Problems
An_252986 posted:
Recently my dad has had two episodes where at night when he is going to sleep he forgets something (last time it was the name of the movie he watched earlier). He told my mom he couldn't sleep and started to feel claustrophobic or smothered until he remembered the name. It bothered him enough that he couldn't sleep and had to wake up my mom.

He has started becoming claustrophobic with age (67 now) in situations where he was completely fine before (ie. airplanes and smaller hotel rooms). I think some of this might have to do with him talking to my uncle a lot who started having a lot more mental issues after he lost his job and sat unemployed for a long time and went into depression. He started suffering from anxiety, claustrophobia, etc... What type of doctor should I refer my dad to to start getting help early on? Thank you.
Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
If your dad does have claustrophobia, then ideally he should start by seeing a mental health professional who specializes in anxiety disorders. That way, the professional who diagnoses him can also treat him. To find a specialist in your area, try this site:

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.