Skip to content
Please answer my question/concern about contracting hep c
An_252569 posted:
As I was eating today I had something on my finger and I licked it off. It was dark where I was eating. a little bit after I started thinking what if there was blood in my house and that what was on my finger and I licked it off. What if it was blood and it was positive for hep c or even HIV, should I test/worry? When should I get tested. Sorry I have anxiety.[br>[br>[br>[br>Also, I was eating a klondike bar and I was picking at my acne and it started to bleed. I touched the inside of klondike wrapper on it to see the blood but afterwards started thinking what if my sibling put her blood on the wrapper and the virus was on it and it touched my blood/acne/open wound. I know I sound ridiculous but I'm terrified. I started going to counseling but my next appointment won't be until mid August.

I have a fear that my sibling wants me dead since she hates me and can't stop thinking she will harm me anyway possible.

rohvannyn responded:
I'm glad you recognize it's the anxiety talking, and I'm really glad you are reaching out for help.

First, the facts: a little bit of blood in your mouth is unlikely to hurt you unless it made it into your bloodstream. There is always a small chance, of course, but the saliva in the mouth acts as a natural first defense against disease. If she had left her blood on your Klondike wrapper, it would have to be very fresh because viruses are actually rather weak and fragile outside of the body. Dried blood isn't the best thing to eat, of course, but it's unlikely to give you HIV, especially if you only got a tiny bit.

If you still want to get tested for your own peace of mind, contact your local health department and they will probably have free or low cost testing.

In the mean time, get a handle on your anxiety. Practice calming techniques, look at the resources on this site, distract yourself, and see if you can possibly get an earlier appointment as well. This is a treatable condition, there is help.

An_252569 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hello earlier today at my internship I bent down to grab something and my mouth accidently touched the table. I'm worried since I hear that hepatitis can be on surfaces for days and earlier this morning my gums were bleeding a little bit from brushing them. am I at risk? Everyting little thing that happens to me is scaring me.

rohvannyn replied to An_252569's response:
Like I said before, work on your anxiety first. Did you rub your bleeding gums into the table? Yes, hepatitis can exist on surfaces but viruses are fragile and die quickly when exposed to air. I understand why you are concerned. If you work on your anxiety, get help with it if you can, and educate yourself by reading up on how germs are transmitted, as well as how your immune system works. The more good information you have (not just hearsay or the scaremongering from Lysol ads) the better off you will be. In the meantime, take some time to breathe deeply. The body has a hard time maintaining a panic response while you do that. And get a checkup if you need one.

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
By the way, I am not trying to sound sarcastic though I think I probably do. I was trying to illustrate the ways germs would get in to the body, and when it would be appropriate to be worried, and when it's safe to try to put the event out of your mind.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.