Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
anxious
An_250536 posted:
Yday I was washing my hands in a public restroom (it was at a lab)and I was taking the paper towels when my handbag which was on my shoulder suddenly slipped and touched the open part of the trash can that was just below....Should I disinfect my handbag? I got home and just hung it in my closet..

An_250536 responded:
Can anyone please reply?

rohvannyn responded:
A wipedown with a clorox wipe or something similar wouldn't hurt, but it's really not needed. A lot depends on how often the restroom is cleaned, how messy the people in it are, and what kind of things the lab deals with.

I believe what would help you most is (1) more work on your core anxiety issues, so you can look at events with a little more clarity and (2) more information about how disease transmission actually works, not neglecting how your immune system protects you from disease. I've found that learning about what I fear CAN help a lot. Just try to stick to balanced information rather than being drawn in by fear mongers.

An_250536 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you. I was sent to the lab for a urine test from my OBGYN doctor. I think I will just wipe the purse with clorox wipe or something. Usually I find closed stainless steel trash cans at my drs office but here it was an open one, thats why the anxiety. What if it had completely fallen in the trash...the more I think of it, I almost start to believe it actually did....

rohvannyn replied to An_250536's response:
Sounds like a good plan. The wipe will take care of any nasties that managed to survive the air and sunlight that the purse was then exposed to. Did you know that often ultraviolet light is used to disinfect things? It kills quite a few pathogens.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.