venlafaxine is awful
rockydog1 posted:
I have been on this drug for a long time (10 yrs?) I have been taking 300 mg. daily and I went to the dr. about 3 weeks ago and said they don't seem to be working for me. He told me to cut down my dose every 3 days by 37.5mg. Things were going okay. I even started to feel quite good about myself except for days I would be angry. Then 4 days ago I was down to taking one 37.5 mg a day. Friday night my heart felt like it was pounding so hard all through my body. It was scaring me. Saturday I woke up and went to make myself something to eat and I felt like I was going to pass out. I was shaking, got VERY light-headed, my heart seemed to hardly be beating, yet my pulse was fast. I felt sick to my stomach. I tried to eat but could barely get anything down. I had to try to totally focus to chew. Just a bit of a headache. I was so scared I got my husband to take me to emergency. I thought I was going to have a heart attack or stroke. When I laid down in the ER bed I started crying and couldn't stop. They did blood work, an EKG, urine test, pulse, temperature, everything was normal. I told the Dr. about cutting down on these meds and he said that would be what the problem was. He said to go home and take 2 of the 37.5 mg. capsules. After about an hour the dizziness went away, but I cried and was really angry for the rest of the day. Went to bed about midnight and awoke at 3:00 am with a massive headache and crying again. Took some painkillers and went back to bed about 4 and slept until 7:30 am. Immediately took the two 37.5 mg caps upon rising. Cried until about 10:00 am then got the shakes, dizziness, nausea and total basket case feeling again. Headache there again too. It's now about 1:30 in the afternoon and I am just crying and have a massive headache. The doctor in emergency told me to see my doctor on Monday. I don't know what to do. I won;t go back on these pills again, but obviously my depression is still there.(has been since I was young) I'm 56 now. What if he puts me on something worse? if there is such a thing. This Venlafaxine is a horrible drug. It should be banned. Like other people here that have said they felt like a zombie on them, I guess I did too. Not a thing in life interests me, and if it did it was only for a short time. I can't get extremely excited about anything. How long does this withdrawal last and is there another antidepressant that isn't so horrible. Before I was put on this drug I had been on different ones that only worked short term. Paxil etc. but had no trouble getting off of them other than sadness and crying. I'm so glad I found this site though. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who thought death was right at the door.