Skip to content
Physical Anxiety Symptoms
lindsayglo posted:
Let me start by saying I have extreme anxiety about my health.

As far as I know I am a healthy 25 year old. I am constantly worrying about something major happening to me. I am wondering if anyone feels that being anxious can cause you to almost "imagine" symptoms being there. Also I am curious if anyone else with health anxiety has physical symptoms when they start to worry.

lindsayglo responded:
Does anyone else have any physical symptoms when their worry and anxiety get the best of them?

rohvannyn responded:
Definitely. Your brain will create similar symptoms to whatever you are worried about getting. Whether it's itching, weird aches, chest tightness, or whatever, the power of the mind to affect the body is amazing and rather frightening at times. You can also use that to your advantage, though at times it can be hard to do.

Some symptoms of anxiety I have had before are chest tightness, rapid heartrate, dry mouth, sweating, headache, blurry vision, insomnia, and other irritating things. If you can manage to distract yourself, breathe deeply, and tell yourself you can handle it, a lot of that can go away.

lindsayglo replied to rohvannyn's response:
How do you know when something is REALLY wrong vs when it is in your mind?

rohvannyn replied to lindsayglo's response:
Good question. If you can afford it, a doctor can help you make a determination. Part of it is just knowing your own body. Also, true physical problems often feel more localized or sharp. It really depends on what it is. If I am having shortness of breath, it might be due to anxiety if I have had emotional upset. On the other hand, if I am in high altitudes or have been breathing dust or have been exerting myself then it's probably not due to anxiety. If the symptoms get better when you calm down or meditate, or distract yourself, then they are probably due to your thoughts.

Hope this helps to some extent.

lindsayglo replied to rohvannyn's response:
Yes it does help. My family is always telling me "don't you think we would be encouraging you to go to the doctor if we really thought something was wrong?" And I do believe that, but I feel like the girl who cried wolf.. like they do not believe that I am feeling the things I am.

rohvannyn replied to lindsayglo's response:
I can totally understand your feelings there. On the other hand, regular checkups are a good idea anyway, and they can help head physical problems off before they get worse. Hopefully, you can use the information the doctor gives you to give you peace of mind. They can also help you track any physical symptoms that your anxiety can cause. Remember that all symptoms are real, whether they are caused by your thoughts or not. The difference is that you can much more easily rid yourself of the symptoms that don't have a physical cause.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.