Skip to content
Adult separation anxiety.. Moving out next month, at 32..
Goldeneyes posted:
I am a 32 year old woman, single, never married, and I have adult separation anxiety. I experienced early childhood trauma due to a custody ruling in my parents' divorce case, which required me to be separated from my mother, my primary caregiver, for 2 weeks at age 2.5. I wasn't allowed to talk to my mother, and my father did not call her to come get me. I don't remember it, but I'm told I was a completely different child when I returned from the visit. My father and grandmother did not know common sense parenting, so among other things, I was put in an outdoor shower... At age 2.5... So, fear of water on my head was a big one for a long time. ANYWAY. My mother is financing a move for me to a beautiful new apartment of my own, 25 minutes from her house, where I've lived except for 4 years of college. I'm feeling anxious, overwhelmed, terrified and sad and I don't know how to handle it. I am afraid to leave her, as well as my cat... She's 13 and I'm overly attached to her as well. Ugh. I'm booking a therapy appt for next week, but any advice or suggestions would be wonderful. Thank you!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.