Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need help with anxiety symptoms
An_253423 posted:
I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for years, and in 2006, I had a panic attack due to a traumatic event (sudden death of a close coworker), when I had rapid heartbeat, panicky feelings, inability to eat or sleep, inability to focus, crying, etc., for which I sought help (therapy and medication). I recall my ex-husband telling me to just snap out of it, but I could not do so. Therapy did not help with my physical symptoms, so I was put on Paxcil, which worked quite well. About a year ago, my doctor and I decided to switch to Celexa, to eliminate possible side effects of Paxcil. Celexa also worked quite well. About four months ago, I felt well enough to stop taking the Celexa, and about a week ago, the anxiety symptoms came back. Under my doctor's care, I re-started the Celexa this past Friday (10 mg doses for the first six days, then my regular 20 mg per day). So I have been back on the med for four days, and am still suffering with anxiety, including upset stomach (feeling of constant alarm), inability to eat, inability to sleep for more than a few hours at a time, and general not feeling well. I know that the Celexa will take time to bring me back to feeling normal, but I have to return to work tomorrow, and am wondering if anyone has any tips with regard to diet, as I have had some diarrhea since Friday, and with regard to sleeping. I am trying to keep busy and act normally, but I just feel scared and alone right now. Can anyone help?

subtleNae responded:
I know your pain. try eating light, things like toast, soup, grilled fish, beans. I hate that nervous feeling so I understand your frustration. try taking hot showers before bed to help relax. hope this helps.

CSdoglover replied to subtleNae's response:
Thank you. I am at work today, and only slept about 3 hours last night, so I called my Dr.'s office today and they called in a prescription for Klonopin to help me sleep until the Celexa is working. I still can't eat, but I'm trying. Just horrible! Can't wait to be well again.

rohvannyn replied to CSdoglover's response:
Are you feeling any better? I hope so. It can be pretty tough to just "snap out of it." Not everybody can do that as easily as some would like us to, such as jobs, friends, and loved ones. If you still are having trouble sleeping, try some deep breathing and relaxation, as well as light to moderate exercise. Try to get yourself physically tired. It helps. Also, try avoiding caffeine for a while if you haven't already. Some people take things like melatonin or valerian but talk to your doctor before trying anything like that. I hope you are feeling better.

CSdoglover replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you so much. I am very lucky to have supportive friends and family. I recently experienced more anxiety, so a few days ago, I called my doctor, who told me that is normal when starting the Celexa, that for the first few weeks, the anxiety will actually feel worse...she said it will take a month for the Celexa to work, so she prescribed Xanax to get me through, which I take as I need to. This has helped, but I still feel somewhat anxious and am looking forward to better days ahead. I am two weeks into the med, and can't wait for the month to be over. I am keeping busy and exercising nearly every day and just holding on. I know that I will get better, because I had been on Celexa before, but it is just hard to wait for the long term effects. Until then, I continue to try to to the best I can and take one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. I try to rely on my faith and friends. God bless all who have to suffer with these debilitating symptoms. Again, thanks for your kind words and I hope you are well.

rohvannyn replied to CSdoglover's response:
It's great that you have a doctor who explains what to expect, so you aren't left in the dark. I can imagine a lot of people stopping therapy that might help them because their symptoms get worse at first.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.