Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can smoking weed help anxiety?
PumpkinRaider posted:
I have diagnosed general anxiety disorder. I am currently taking setraline to help. I have heard that weed maybe beneficial to those with anxiety. I live in the state of Washington and it is legal here, and a new option I am looking into.

booberryjuice responded:
I doubt it...weed usually causes paranoid symptoms and anxiety, plus can also cause heart palpitations. I was a smoker (as a teen) and it made me worse. not good for someone who is maybe struggling with Anxiety or ADD things. But... you could try it and see if it helps, everyone is different, but dont use it for too long- I know alot of people who were actively smoking it and they have hard times keeping jobs, making decisions, Act kind-of - not intelligent. It messes with you after long term use. Who wants to go there any sooner than you have to .LOL

PumpkinRaider replied to booberryjuice's response:
Thanks, I have heard that it depends on the person who smokes. I was hoping for a more lively discussion. I am really considering it and going to ask my doctor. I just want something that is more natural.

rohvannyn replied to booberryjuice's response:
I've heard that too. As with any drug, it depends a lot on the dosage as well. And the quality as well as the form. Some people seem to think it really helps them. Of course, thinking that it helps will affect things too.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.