Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Brain lock-up
rohvannyn posted:
I know what the answer will be, most likely, but I figured I'd post here in an attempt to at least clarify some of this for myself. I've been having these periods lately where I will feel normal, at least to myself, but my spouse will tell me that I'm not thinking straight, or I will respond to her in ways that are calculated to be hurtful, or a whole host of other things. She says also that at certain times my gaze will lose focus and I'll look catatonic.

I do know that sometimes when I am under stress I will get sort of lost in my own head, unable to make a decision about what to say and it will take tremendous effort to speak. I'm sure this has to do with my mounting issues with anxiety, yet, how do I snap out of it? Deciding not to do it again doesn't seem to help.

becky30 responded:
You are not alone with this. I tend time stopped mid conversation during an attack and completely forget what I was talking about. Sometimes I even stutter something I've never ever done before being diagnosed. It's an issue that only with time and positive strategies that can help with it. I am still getting help with this

subtleNae responded:
omg! I'm happy to know I'm not alone in this. i too hv experienced this. it frustrates me so badly bc i think ppl are thinking i dont know how to speak when this happens. that gives me more anxiety. any tips would be appreciated.

rohvannyn replied to becky30's response:
It's especially hard when the other person acts like you are doing it on purpose. Self distraction can help sometimes, taking a few deep breaths, but gosh I don't have much better advice than that.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.