Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Effexor withdraw symptoms How long can this last??
An_253572 posted:
Still withdrawing from Effexor after 3 weeks of weaning off of it. After taking it for years, I decided I didn't need it any more. My Dr. gave me a half dosage and instructions. I went from 75 to 37.5 mg for a month and then every other day, every 3rd day, and then cold turkey. I can't wait to get this drug out of my system.
I haven't had the brain zaps that I've seen reported but I already take Omega 3's & exercise a lot. I do have the brain fog, memory & concentration problems, nightmares, vertigo, depression, suicidal thoughts, irritability, and aching. I also gained a lot of weight while taking this medication. I have also been crying constantly while detoxing. It's very tempting to take another dose but I will not prolong this nightmare.
Suggestions that I've read are taking Omega 3's, ibuprofen, and eliminating sugar. It's also tempting to ask my Dr. for a month of prozac because it makes this easier. I wonder if the patients that go directly to another antidepressant have these issues? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
This withdraw has been the hardest thing I've ever done. I feel like an addict. Life, since withdrawing from Effexor, has been like being under water. I feel like someone is holding me under and shaking my head back and forth constantly.
My main question is how long will this go on??? I can't take much more of this.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.