Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am a girl of 25.I have quite severe ocd.I have a job to support myself currently.Can I live single?Or better married ?
An_253581 posted:
I have not been successful with any relationships mostly due to ocd. I have come to accept the fact that I will have significant difficulties that I have to manage all my life due to the disorder and subsequent depression. I currently have a job. I want to know if living single with ocd is advisable or i am better married so I have some support.I have not been lucky in love.How tough will living life with ocd alone be. what must i expect. or is it not realistic?how tough should i make myself?

rohvannyn responded:
It might actually be easier for you to live alone, because there will be no one changing your routines or interfering with your personal ways of doing things. However, there will also be no real reason to improve or work through the disorder. On hand, you are less likely to have fights about him not turning the lights off in the exact right order, like I had the other night with my somewhat OCD spouse, but on the other hand, you won't have support or incentive to change. Right now the point is somewhat moot as you don't have a partner, so I would say it's important to work on yourself right now so you will be in a better position no matter if you are single or with someone.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.