Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
StArted Ativan a month ago: days without it are hell
uno63 posted:
I'm taking about half or one mg of ativan per day, but without it I'm an anxiety wreck. Very edgy and nervous due to work pressures. Worried I have become hooked on it.

What dose is safe for next few months?

How do I control this

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, Uno63-
I am sorry to hear your struggles with Ativan and with anxiety. I don't know the reason your physician placed you on Ativan, so I can't fully answer your question. But one of the biggest problems people have taking a benzodiazepine like Ativan is that they under-dose themselves. That Ativan does not last all day, so if you were suffering from anxiety prior to beginning the medication, it is no surprise that you feel anxiety again as the medication wears off. On the other hand, if you do not want to take a benzodiazepine but you are having a difficult time getting off of it, then you might get a copy of the Stopping Anxiety Medication Workbook

uno63 replied to Reid Wilson, PhD's response:
Thank you so much.

What dose would you recommend...

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.