Skip to content
Work Phobia?
An_253792 posted:
I've suffered with anxiety and depression for more than 30 years. I've been to therapists and taken boatloads of drugs. But the worst problem is happening now. I've worked my whole life and I'm capable, smart and hard working. I've always felt "paranoid" at work, like people didn't like me. In the past, I just stuck it out. But the older I get the worse I've felt. I quit my last two jobs without notice after only 1 month and 4 months because going to work made me want to kill myself. I don't know what to do now. I'm in danger of losing my house, but the thought of actually working makes me so anxious I can't seem to force myself to look for another job.

I'm fully functional in other ways. I have a great group of friends, I do volunteer work and I'm in a dog training apprentice program. I can get up every day, shower and take care of most things. But if I can't figure out how to make a living this will all end.

I've spent the past two years trying to find a decent work from home job. I've tried a lot of different things, and have one quarterly job, but I can't make enough to survive on that. Most of the work from home jobs are scams, but I've even considered paying money to companies to be given work! I've also cleaned houses, done pet sitting and anything else I can think of, but can't get enough clients to make ends meet.

Are there resources out there for people like me specifically related to work phobias? I'm on medication, I have a therapist, but I can barely stand to send my resume (which was pretty good up until 2 years ago) to potential employers, because I can't imagine where I could work or how I could explain my needs to anyone and actually get hired.

I never thought I would do what I've done these past few years. I have a college degree and graduated summa cum laude (although my social anxiety made me want to die during a lot of that too). I've had a well paid, responsible, professional position and now I'm afraid to apply to a house-cleaning company because I'll have to work with other people.

Please note that this is 30 years in the making. I've done drugs, and therapy of many different types, even cognitive therapy. I'm in a 12-step program. I have a great life now other than this problem... but it's a doozy. I'd really appreciate any experience directly related to my work phobia and any options for people like me.

subtleNae responded:
I swear I thought I wrote this myself. I have the same problem, I quit 3 jobs bc of it. I had all these great things on my resume now it looks like huh? what? why? but I currently have a job that somewhat works with me. I was too ashamed to get on disability bc i dont see it as a need now. I would hate for you to have to clean houses bc of your anxiety. Im sure something will work soon. good luck

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Embracing Today
Hello All, With each day that GOD gives us, lets view it as a day of opportunity to begin to embrace self in all forms. Today is the day of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.