Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
breathing problems
maddy3088 posted:
Hey guys. I've had panic attacks since I was little and I'm 15 now. when I was 9 me and my siblings were taken into d.s.s custody and thats when they really started. My biggest fear is not being able to breath and any time I have a panic attack I get problems with my breathing and feel like I'm about to die. Lately it has felt like something is stuck in my throat and I want to know if it's possible that something could really be in my throat or if it's psychological whenever I have my panic attacks and I freak out cause I think I'm going to die or something. I'm hoping for a professional opinion and helpful tips or if anyone can relate to me it would make me feel so much Better to know that I'm not the only one. Thanks guys it would really mean a lot!

ant1988 responded:
Hi maddy3088, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this but trust me, it will get easier and there are things you can do to lessen the effects of anxiety. #1: Think about how you breathe when you're not having a panic attack... You aren't telling yourself to breathe, your body handles that for you. Take comfort in knowing that your body knows what to do to keep you alive, that's one reason why we have panic attacks (it's just that our mind is sending stronger signals than are necessary - flight or fight syndrome). #2: Try drinking water when you are feeling panicky, it has helped me. #3: Make sure you're eating right, exercising, getting enough sleep, etc. Counseling and/or medicine helps, too.

Anxiety makes us feel terrible and then tricks us into thinking it's something else... usually the worst thing possible, even though it's not. If you think there is something seriously wrong with you health-wise, it could bring you comfort to see a doctor - sometimes it helps to have a medical professional tell you that there really isn't anything physically wrong. God bless!

maddy3088 replied to ant1988's response:
Thank you so much. This really did help me. God bless

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

The five most unexpected causes: Coffee, Water, Sleep, Exercise, Diet
I have this as well. I have noticed that these symptoms are at there worst when I have had sleep deprivation, too much coffee, have not ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.