Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
anxiety related blood pressure and medication
An_253878 posted:
Hello, I have been battling severe panic disorder for about 11 years now.
I Take xanax 4mg/day, and metoprolol 300mg, 2 times a day. My particular problem is that when my panic symptoms started, they never went away. I have had them constantly for 11 years. An 11 year long panic attack basically.

Recently I went on an ssri in an attempt to hopefully build serotonin levels to normal levels and taper off the benzo's. My doctors should never have kept me on them in my opinion, but I was really freaked out at the time. The were caused by an adrenalectomy I had in 2002 on my left side. Shortly after recovery I developed the symptoms.

My question here is, as I understand it, 300mg of metoprolol is a large dose of blood pressure and bb medacine, yet recently, I admitted myself to a supervised detox just to see if I could come off of the xanax, I could not. My blood pressure, which is usually hovers at 120/80 resting, and 130-135/90 active, actually got up to 160/106 at one point. How is this even possible on 300mg of metoprolol? My blood panel was nearly perfect....any help would be wonderful.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.